Saturday, November 05, 2005

Ozark Mountain Resort: Day Two

Miss C and I hiked short distances today, trying to acclimate ourselves to (1) hiking, (2) steep slopes, (3) leashes and (4) relieving on command.

Number (2) was a challenge... but (4) was particularly problematic. I don't ever remember a time when I've been so consumed by whether she has pooped or not. For two reasons, I just want to know that she has: (1) She'll be more comfortable... and (2) I'll know when I go to bed at night... that she won't get an uncontrollable urge at 2am. Color me selfish for wanting sleep... or color me scared of the sounds of the deep, dark wildness... but I want to know by 9pm, that we are in for the evening.

I drove in to Kimberling City to the grocery store this afternoon. I didn't know which one I was going to, until I pulled in the parking lot.

I passed up "Summer Fresh"... mostly because we are in the heart of the fall. Second, because of a funny little saying that popped in my head... "summer fresh, summer not".

So... I went to "Harter House". Yes, that is "Harter", no "C".

According to what I read on the billboards, as well as the resort propaganda... "Harter House" is known for their meats.

Let me translate that for you... that means that they package it for you when you order it. They don't have ready-made packages sitting in cases. I'll add... the meats were extremely fresh, good and plentiful. The rest of the store's contents... not so much so.

It was good to get out of the cabin, though... alone. I am having to acclimate, too, to constant companionship. I'm not saying that it's not pleasurable... but, I'm not accustomed to someone asking... when I prepare a drink for myself... "are you thirsty?"... or a snack, "are you hungry?"...

All's good. It remains to be seen, however, if this week of vacation seems short... or long.

No comments: