Thursday, March 16, 2006

March 16: My Mom's Birthday

Today is my Mom's birthday.

If I had the honor, the privilege and the good fortune to still have her healthy and here with me on earth, she would be 77 today. And we would be celebrating large:
  1. She would wake (at a reasonable hour... please!) with a telephone call from me!
  2. The day would have been kicked off with a koffee klatsch, surrounded by her good friends.
  3. Mid-day would be celebrated with a light lunch and a fun bridge game.
  4. She would have late afternoon to watch Oprah and unwind a little.
  5. Dinner would be my treat. We would go anywhere her heart chose, but it would likely be a place that served shrimp, in some fashion. (At her heaviest, Mom weighed 114 pounds. And she once ate a 99 piece shrimp combination dinner, all by herself!). I would probably have to insist that we go someplace "better" than Luby's, however. (Mom LOVED Luby's).
  6. I would tease and we would laugh.
  7. My gifts to her: books (histories, biographies), crossword puzzles, a warm gown, a designer label four-piece suit, at least 2 pairs of Ferragamo shoes (one pair would never do!), everyday skirts, pants and blouses, and gift certificates for manicure/pedicures (something she deemed luxuries).
  8. Her cake: something I baked (vanilla or lemony), looking questionable but quite tasty and probably having a Snoopy figure and seven and seven candles on top.
  9. Her wish: There is no doubt in my mind what it would be. We are similar in that regard (our priorities, our wishes).
  10. She would be happy to spend the night or maybe even the weekend with me, but she would just as eagerly want to return home.

No comments: