Wednesday, March 01, 2006

America will take "The Simpsons" for a 1000, Alex

According to this poll, of all Americans:

  • 22% know all five of "The Simpsons", by name.
  • 50% know at least two of "The Simpsons", by name.
  • 25% know ONLY ONE of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment.*

And this is REALLY sad...

  • 0.001% know ALL FIVE freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment.
  • 20% thought the right to own a pet was protected by the First Amendment.
  • 38% thought the right against self-incrimination was protected by the First Amendment. It IS protected, but by the Fifth Amendment (hence... "plea the Fifth").
  • And more people could name the three "American Idol" judges than could identify three First Amendment rights.

I took the survey in the car, listening to the radio on the way to work this morning. My results:

  • I knew 4 of 5 of "The Simpsons" by name. I couldn't remember the baby's name, but I COULD imitate the noise she makes. ;-)
  • I knew all 3 of the "American Idol" judges' names. (Did I just admit that???).
  • And, I knew all 5 of the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment. I didn't recall the term, "redress". I said "the freedom to disagree with your government".

*To abate the immediate google search, the following are the five freedoms guaranteed by our First Amendment:

  • Freedom of Speech (Incidentally, I am curious why speech is spelled with an e, and speak is spelled with an a. Anyone know?).
  • Freedom of Religion.
  • Freedom of Press.
  • Freedom of Assembly.
  • Freedom of Petition for Redress of Grievances.

No comments: