Monday, February 27, 2006

Pain at the Pump

Mid-afternoon on Sunday, I started to not feel so well. By the time I woke up on Monday, I was REALLY sick. I got up and went through the motions, thinking that I would feel better once I was up and moving around.

I made it, painfully, to work and stayed for an hour and a half before I couldn't take it any more. I signed out and started home but had to stop for gas on the way home. And for the first time since the darn things were invented... the pay-at-the-pump wouldn't clear out after pumping my gas. I had to go in the store and argue with the manager, who really didn't care if someone could drive up and fill up on my credit card. She couldn't print a receipt for me. She essentially told me that there was nothing she could do.

I was in a lot of pain by that point, and while I remained respectful... my recollection is that I was loud. I didn't care how many phone calls she had made to the company. I didn't care that they hadn't called her back. I just told her that we needed to reach some resolution, and that I wasn't willing to rely on her memory, should my statement record an excessive billing.

(Heck... it was already $25.50 for a tiny little CRV tank of gas!)

We went back and forth and back and forth. The store filled up with people with the same complaint. Some of them agreed to drive off, in blind trust. It turns out, that there WAS something she could do about it. She managed to clear the pump. And she rubbed my credit card to create a receipt, showing the amount. And she signed and dated it.

Fair enough! I like her tenacity. Of course, I don't think she appreciated mine.

No comments: