Thursday, February 07, 2008

Respect is a Mirror

It is.

In a perfect world, we would all respect each other equally. And I guess, in the end, we do.

I think it's next to impossible to respect and honor someone who doesn't return the courtesy.

My observation is that those that don't respect others, those that don't follow the golden rule, fit into certain categories:
  1. The young and immature, as their cognitive reasoning hasn't yet developed to the extent that they can fully understand their place in the world, much less have empathy toward others.
  2. The truly ignorant, and this is a tiny, tiny group.
  3. Those developmentally stunted, self absorbed individuals who mask their feelings of inferiority with actions of self entitlement and superiority over others.

It's easy to understand those in the first group, and it is incumbent on parents and other role models to model appropriate behaviors. That said, it's difficult to understand and tolerate this sort of immaturity in a 30 year old.

Ignorance breeds ignorance and is to an extent, forgiven. And thanks to the opportunities that our Good Lord continues to provide, more and more people are overcoming these circumstances.

My primary issue, this evening, is with the self absorbed. I'm growing a wee bit tired of continuing molly coddling, justifications, cheer leading and, frankly, babysitting.

With every act of disrespect, disregard and dismissal, I lose an ounce of my own respect in return. And while, as a matter of my own personal eithics, I won't stoop to that level... I WILL eventually disconnect and cease to deal with the irrationalities, excuses and temper tantrums.

It's just fact. My life is way too valuable to me to spend any time in relationships that don't work for either of us.

No comments: