Thursday, March 09, 2006

Chloe Dao: Bringing it Home to Houston

Ok, I'm a little reluctant to admit it: I watch 'Project Runway'. THERE. I said it.

I think I watch it because it reminds me of my many days in the College of Architecture: camaradery, competition, interesting challenges, impossible deadlines, last minute detailing and brutal juries.

There is more pressure ($100,000) on the PR participants, for sure, but their juries are a lovefest compared to those in a College or School of Architecture!

I picked last year's winner (based solely on his just being "nutty"), but imagine my surprise when I did it again!

Chloe Dao was selected by the panel this year! I pulled for her because she was the most consistent and professional of the designers. The fact that she was from Houston might have played a small part!

As the winner of the show's second season, Dao receives $100,000 in seed money to help launch her own fashion line and a mentorship from the Banana Republic design team, according to the show's Web site.

Dao said she plans to stay in Houston, where she hopes to expand her successful boutique, Lot 8, and design her own line. "It's about me figuring out how to do this right, where I can balance having a life also," said Dao, who was 8 when her family moved to the United States from Laos.

No comments: